More Interesting Info

February 19, 2007

Example 2 – Making Yahoo Pipes work for you

Filed under: cool stuff, tech — seniorgeek @ 11:38 am

Ok, I said I would have example 2 in a couple of days. So follow along with example 2.

Since I am always looking for the best tech deal, I created the following pipe. It checks 8 sites for the best price on the item you select. Open the following pipe in the edit mode and follow along.
http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/xnT4eke52xGJsMmKIBeTaQ/

This first thing we need is the ‘text input’ module so we can select what we are looking for.

textinput1.jpg

Next we need to know what sites we are going to seach. For this we use the ‘fetch’ module to input the URL of each site.

fetch.jpg

You can select as many sites as you want but I have found out that is you put more than 6 sites in a ‘fetch’ module it really slows down the search. Use multiple ‘fetch’ modules if you need more that 6 sites.

Next we need to filter out duplicate results from each site so we use the ‘filter’ module.

filter1.jpg

Now we link the output from the fetch module to the filter module to get rid of all the duplicates.
We also need to link the output of the ‘test input’ module to the filter module at the ‘text’ input of the description and title because this is the item name we are searching.

Now there is one special item I should mention here. I have created another pipe called ’embedded’ which I add to this pipe because it already has some predefined searches built. You can examine that pipe later if you want. I just wanted to mention it here.

Once we have the outputs of the the ‘filter’ and ’embedded search’ tied together with the ‘union’ module we can sort the output as we desire. I have sorted this by date in ascending order because I want to know what is the most recent tech deal out there.
sort.jpg


The following is the complete pipe for your review. Feel free to post comments or ask questions.

pipes.jpg

Advertisements

5 Comments »

  1. Sometimes the pubDate is hopeless for sorting because it doesn’t stick to a standard format. I got round this by looking at the y: values for day, month and year.

    http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id=aF0p7E_A2xGlVLm2JhOy0Q

    Comment by David Tebbutt — March 11, 2007 @ 1:23 pm

  2. I should have said: look at the rename and regex operations to see how I overcame the inconsistency. I could have probably done it more easily with udate.

    Comment by David Tebbutt — March 11, 2007 @ 1:25 pm

  3. Cancel my remarks about pubDate and sorting. It was displaying the date correctly on output that I was trying to achieve.

    Sorry – a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

    Comment by David Tebbutt — March 11, 2007 @ 1:38 pm

  4. David, thanks for your thoughts. I was surprised to see your comments as it always showed the correct date sequence when I ran the pipe.

    Comment by seniorgeek — March 11, 2007 @ 2:45 pm

  5. See note 3 above. It was the pubDate formatting that was bugging me. The sorting was fine.

    Comment by David Tebbutt — March 12, 2007 @ 2:33 am


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: